Saturday 24 August 2013

The Beach... in December

We visited our stretch of sand during December 2010, but it took me almost two years to scrapbook the photos and another year to take photos of the layouts to share with you. It's tough to find a wintery paper collection that also has sandy colours in it, but Bo Bunny came out with the perfect paper - Snowfall. I scrapbooked these photos {finally} at the Great Scrapbook Carnival in 2012, and now you finally get to see them too! Remember how I wrote that I was so very far behind in sharing my projects? This is a rare peek into my finished scrapbook pages so please tell me what you think.

Some snowflakes were fussy cut from the papers in the collection, and others were cut with Spellbinders dies. Fussy cutting doesn't happen very often at my craft table - believe me! - but the effect was well worth the effort. I used chipboard from the set and Dusty Attic, and some inks and glitter. The detail in the Dusty Attic chipboard used as the title shown here is so delicate.



The first pages were a two-page layout. As you can see in the first photo (click to enlarge), there's a wee bit of snow on the ground, but the lake hasn't frozen yet. The ice crystals were just starting to form at the water's edge on this very still day. The reflections in the water were beautiful!

The second set of photos on this layout were taken of Hubby and me at the gate to the property. You can even see the blue house/lot number if you look closely. The subtle glitter around the photo mats was achieved by using Scor Tape with Glitter Ritz transparent glitter in Cool Highlight. I like how it works with the paper and tag holders but isn't all in-yo-face.

The next page has Hubby and me on the steps of our cottage, bookended with two more views of it nestled in the trees. It was so peaceful. I kept this page really simple, not even matting the outside two photos, but just cutting them with a 'fancy' edge scissor.

I caught a couple of candid shots of the Hubby and the Boy walking down the beach. They were contemplating testing the water... with each other. Then Mom intervened. Yep, I'm no fun sometimes. I kept the banners clean and crisp but distressed the edges of the photos and mats.

The fifth page has Hubby and me on the beach, with the Boy taking the photo from the property line. Even though we have lots of photos of the property from this angle, this is the only one with white 'sand'.

What good is snow if it just stays on the ground? I 'blessed' the Boy with a handful of snow, and he 'blessed' me right back. Thankfully, he hit my back and not my head - good arm! Even better is how the Spellbinders snowflake die matches the snowflake on the background paper... check out the match between the snowflake at the upper right and the big brown snowflake. Amazing, huh? And the Colorbox ink I used on the die-cut snowflakes was a pretty good match too.

It's amazing that I finished these six pages during the two days. I also took two classes during the Carnival, and the displays, retail booths and my table crop-mates were totally distracting. Do you have to ask if I'm going again this year? If you're in Edmonton and attending the Carnival during either September 13 or 14 (thanks to Canadian Scrapbooker for organizing this fab event), see if you can spot me at the crop tables. If you do, c'mon over and say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment